Even though it’s already May, there are still lots of great concerts to enjoy in our 2018 season. Did you know you can curate your own series and select the concerts that suit your schedule and musical taste ? Our Choose-Your-Own Series also allows you to receive subscriber discounts and benefits when you buy just three concerts in our 2018 season.
But some of you might be thinking: I like the idea, but I’m not sure which concerts I would like! If you’re having trouble deciding, here are some suggestions – all depending on what you look for in a concert.
If you’re after some beloved classics, look no further than these concerts that will have you captivated from beginning to end.
• (Not) the Last Night of the Proms - With the royal wedding approaching, British fever is reaching an all-time high. Keep the celebrations going with this concert where we bring the experience to you! Enjoy a feast of musical treasures from around the world, with a flourish of English favourites to finish it off. Ready your Union Jacks and join in on the sing-along!
• Bernstein at 100 - We’re celebrating the 100th birthday of legendary American composer Leonard Bernstein with a huge concert featuring Voices of Birralee and Brisbane Chorale. This spectacular event showcases some of Bernstein’s most iconic works including his lively Symphonic Dances from West Side Story - a jazzy number featuring finger-clicking musicians and perky Latin dance rhythms.
• Beethoven's 7th Symphony - We know Beethoven looks serious in old paintings, but he was actually great fun - as you’ll hear in his energetic Symphony No.7. Having long been an audience favourite, its popularity was cemented when it appeared in The King’s Speech, starring Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. This concert also features the smile-inducing Prokofiev Classical Symphony and a new work by beloved Australian composer, Elena Kats-Chernin.
Music on Sundays
Enjoy Sunday mornings in Brisbane’s beautiful South Bank with these relaxed concerts, hosted by the inimitable Guy Noble.
• Love and Other Catastrophes - Great ready to swoon over some of the most passionate and heart-wrenching operatic music of all time, sung by emerging stars from the Lisa Gasteen National Opera School.
• The Best of Movie Music - Film buff or not, you’re sure to love the cinematic musical delights presented in this concert, from classic films such as Love Story, La Dolce Vita, and Cinema Paradiso.
• Tradies and Artists - Although it might seem like an unusual combination, tradesmen have been the inspiration for music for years. Be charmed by works from centuries past in this diverse and fascinating concert.
Do you love the majestic sound of a full orchestra? Here are three huge concerts where you can experience a symphony orchestra in full flight.
• Mystical and Majestic - Witness the thrilling Thus Spake Zarathustra, featured in Stanley Kubrick’s iconic 2001: A Space Odyssey, then marvel at Prokofiev’s spectacular Piano Concerto, a true heart-racer spiked with folksy tunes and lightening piano rushes.
• Beethoven's Heroic Symphony - Sit back, and let the powerful orchestral sound inspire and enchant you. Enjoy Mozart’s much-loved Paris Symphony, and Beethoven’s mighty Eroica Symphony, and as a special treat, be among the first to witness a world premiere of a double bass concerto performed by the incredible Edicson Ruiz.
• Alondra Conducts Mahler 3 - A vast and moving work which includes the entire cosmos (rocks, mountains, plants, flowers, animals, man, the angels and love). Featuring a massive orchestra, choir and soloist, this is one of the most special symphonies ever composed (and voted as one of the top 10 symphonies of all time).
Whatever your pick, we hope to see you at a Queensland Symphony Orchestra performance this year!
|1 EUR||1.55 AUD|
© 2018 FRENCH AUSTRALIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE