On 10 May 2017, the South Australian Chapter of the French-Australian Chamber of Commerce hosted an informative and entertaining Election Debrief Breakfast that explored the possible consequences of Macron’s election for France, for Europe and for the relationship between Australia and France. Over fifty guests attended the panel discussion, which was held three days after the announcement of the election results.
Facilitated by Professor Pascale Quester, Deputy Vice-Chancellor & Vice President (Academic) at The University of Adelaide, the panel consisted of:
· Dr Ibrahima Diallo, Senior Lecturer in Francophone Studies and Applied Linguistics at Uni SA;
· Ms Jane Drake-Brockman, Director of the EU Centre for Global Affairs, The University of Adelaide and former Charge D’Affaires and Minister at the Australian Mission to the European Commission;
· Dr Romain Fathi, Lecturer in History, Flinders University and Associated Researcher,
Centre d’Histoire de Sciences Po;
· Ms Chloë Fox, secondary school French teacher, former journalist and former State Minister
· Associate Professor Felix Patrikeeff, Senior Lecturer in International Studies, The University of Adelaide.
The Debrief commenced with each panel member briefly presenting his or her perspective on the historical, cultural and political contexts of the 2017 French Presidential Election, before opening up the floor to questions from the audience. The panel engaged in a lively discussion of a number of aspects of the election campaign, including the high degree of voter absenteeism; the global trend of populism; the opportunities and risks posed by Macron’s election for trade with Australia; the attitudes of French voters to pre-election issues such as unemployment, security and immigration; and the Panel’s predictions regarding the results of the forthcoming French legislative elections.
Held at Ernst & Young in Adelaide, guests enjoyed a breakfast of croissants and pain au chocolat from Boulangerie 113 as they reflected upon the election results for the growing cultural and business connections between France and South Australia.
Please see our event photo gallery.
Author: Elizabeth Carroll-Shaw
|1 EUR||1.54 AUD|
© 2018 FRENCH AUSTRALIAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE